Saturday, January 21, 2012

Munchen

Today began rather leisurely - with each of us enjoying breakfast separately at our own pace - which was a nice change from the rush of the day before!!

We set off around 10:30 am (after Mum had done some washing) and explored Munich - taking a leisurely stroll around the place - and enjoying ourselves in the snow.






We found the town square - Marienplatz, but by this time - my feet (upon which I had foolishly places shoes that were not appropriate for snow wear) were freezing - so we headed to Dallmayr - a Munich institution of food - which includes a two Michelin-starred restaurant - a bistro - a cafe - and a food hall.


After enjoying a light lunch (which consisted of cheesecake and lemon tart), we headed back to the centre of town to try to find a souvenir shop (Max Krug), and on our way through Marienplatz people were queueing up for something...


My feet were incapable of doing anything other than make me be in a grouchy mood - so I headed back to the hotel to free those who had my company forced upon them to do some shopping. As I later heard, as they walked back through Marienplatz - a dance was occurring - celebrated every 7 years to mark the end of the Black Death in Munich - and Annabelle and Mum were lucky enough to see it.


Back in the apartment I was researching lederhosen - the traditional dress of the Bavarian People. Having seen that they actually wore it on non-special events - Annabelle and I had decided that a purchase of das lederhosen would be necessary. The guide book recommended a store called LodenFrey - which sounded "legit"to me. Thus - I walked into LodenFrey - armed with 60 euros to get me some lederhosen. I should have realised as I entered the store that I was in the wrong place. The following names greeted me as I walked in. Gant, Burberry, Ralph Lauren.

Unfazed - I headed over to the information desk, and in my best German asked "Ich hette gern einen lederhosen" (I would like one lederhosen please). The lady pointed to the lift - and held three fingers up. "Danke Schoen Damen" (Thank You Females) I replied politely. I headed up in the lift with a women dressed in a fur coat. "These people take their shopping seriously I thought." I hopped out at level three. A delightful old woman greeted me with some rapid German. I gave my standard response at this time; "Sprechen Zee Englisch" (Do you speak English?). "Nein." 

I resorted to my earlier "Ich hette gern einen lederhosen." The lady kindly walked me over to the Herren section, where pants of all different designs and materials greeted me. Ahah! I had found me some lederhosen!! Just what I had come for. The guide book was right - this sure was the place to buy some traditional dress. This time, a man in traditional Bavarian dress greeted me - and once again spoke German. "Sprechen Zee Englisch" (Do you speak English?). "Nein."

Instead of continuing to massacre the German language - I simply pointed once to the pants - and then once to me - hoping that my poor attempt at charades had successfully got my message across. The man beamed a wide smile - and handed me a pair. I sneaked a look at the price tag. 1239 euros. Yes. Without a decimal point. 1239 euros. I had to think fast. "I don't like the design - do you have any others" I said - doing a "NO DEAL" impression while pointing to the pants - and then looking enthusiastically around the rest of the store.

He left me to myself. I decided that this bit I was caught in was obviously the "luxury lederhosen." I wasn't after luxury. I just wanted a bit of a gimmick for a costume party. Then - near the dressing rooms I spied 5 Asian men - one of them trying on some lederhosen. I had found the tourist section! Hooray for me!! How wrong I was. Needless to say reader - the thing I was closest to being able to afford was a small feather for my non-existant hat. The feather was 100 euros...

But I did learn a valuable lesson at LodenFrey. The Bavarians aren't joking around with their national costume - and they do actually wear it. Later on I was to find the proper tourist lederhosen, but this was still more than 60 euros. So when I next attend a German fancy-dress party - I will simply go as a "modern German" - and wear normal clothes.

I did have a nice afternoon stroll around Munich though. Here are some photos of my stroll along Maximillianstrasse to the Maximilaneum.




Once we had all reunited, we then enjoyed a lovely Thai dinner next to the hotel (which despite the bathroom door that was completely see through, and frequently came off its hinges; and interior decoration that strongly resembled a brothel - was well located) - which was our last meal in Germany!!







No comments:

Post a Comment