Monday, January 23, 2012

The Sound of Music (Salzburg)

One of the principal reasons for coming to Austria was Mum’s love of the 1965 film - “The Sound of Music.” A family class - the film continues to inspire people around the world to visit Salzburg - and - like the kitschy tourists that we are - we hopped on an “Official Sound of Music Tour” - because we’re cool like that. 




Thankfully - it being winter - the three of us made up the majority of the five people on the tour on the day we visited Salzburg. Our guide picked us up from the Hotel, then we departed for the Schloss that was used as the backdrop for the Von Trapp Villa in the film. When we visited however - it was bitterly cold - with the lake so cold that there was a layer of ice on it! 
From this villa - we headed to the next villa which was used for another exterior shot (the indoor sequences were all shot on sound stages in LA) - this time the one where Maria walks along singing “I have confidence” next to the yellow wall. Yes - we visited there - but that is actually technically private property - so no - we didn’t walk along it singing…





We then visited the palace where the glass room where “Sixteen going on Seventeen” is sung - which is closed to tourists after one broke their ankle jumping from seat to seat. Typical. So - we simply posed outside the rotunda - which is the original used in the film!


On to Nonnberg Abbey - the real Abbey where Maria was a postulate, and the abbey was actually used for some film sequences (except interiors). We didn’t visit the Abbey specifically - but we did drive past!


By now - we had been working our way through the sound track of the film - and we hit Do-Re-Mi, everyone who was a decent singer (so just me basically - gosh I’m modest) began to sing along. I was told to stop a few moments later by Mum - who claimed I was “ruining it for others.” Not quite sure how being a musical genius means I was ruining it for others - but so that Julie Andrew’s version of the song could be better heard - I relented, and ceased singing.
We then “Climb(ed) Ev’ry Mountain” on the way to a random lake (I’m still not sure why we visited - something must have happened here - but I can’t remember what). Our guide told us it was a really important pilgramage site for medieval Christians - but I don’t know what that 
has to do with the Sound of Music.



Off to the church where the REAL Maria and Captain von Trapp were married - and where they filmed the sequence in the movie - we arrived in the town of Mondsee - where the church is. 



Unfortunately - the town relies mainly upon spa tourism - and it being winter - the spas were largely closed - and so too were almost all the restaurants - so we visited one of two restaurants in the town open - and had (I wont say enjoyed - for that would be stretching it) lunch. 
We were then driven back to the town by our guide (who I should mention was wearing traditional dress in a non-gimmicky way), and then back to the hotel for a quick rest up - before “hitting the town” - which involved walking around having almost no idea of where we were going in the rain - and just hoping we’d end up somewhere where we wanted to be. 
We finally found the entrance to the Mirabell Gardens (where Do-Re-Mi was shot) and the home of the mistress of one of the former prince-bishops of Salzburg. There is me doing my own best rendition of the song at the fountain. Musical genius on a par with Mozart (who was also from Salzburg) right there.








We walked through the Mirabell Gardens to the place where Mozart lived for a while (not sure when - the museum didn’t make it clear). The museum was actually pretty boring (sorry to say it Mozart fans) - and we’d been told that was the best museum about Mozart in Austria - so we’ve since skipped all others. 
We then headed across the bridge to the old town - and spent the afternoon exploring the shops and cafes of Salzburg, buying souvenirs. We stopped in at Demel - an Austrian institution. This is the Salzburg branch of the Viennese cafe - famous for inventing Sacher Torte (there is a dispute with Hotel Sacher about who first invented it). I’m waiting til Vienna to try Sacher Torte - so I stuck with something simpler - while Mum did enjoy some - and declared it very good. 




We then visited the Panorama Museum - which was holding - you guessed it - a special exhibition on the Von Trapp Family. I was actually von-Trapped out - so I whizzed around it - then sat down and watched the puppet version of the musical that was playing - and sung along in my head. 



We then headed back to the hotel for a little sleep - before - being the boring people that we are - not only eating where we ate the night before - but also in the hotel…





P.S - In regards to the “I’m a musical genius” comments - those of you who know me (and I hope you all do, and you aren’t some random stalker on my blog for no reason at all), will know that I am a pretty terrible singer. It’s not a badge I hold with pride - and I don’t actually try to sound bad. And despite the years spent learning piano, flute and actually being in a choir - I’m still no better. I am however - a very good lip syncer. Britney Spears has nothing on me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment